Thursday, May 7, 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron - My Humble Opinion

I waited about a week after the film's initial debut here in the US so as to ensure that most of the people reading my blog will possibly already have seen it. If you haven't seen the movie yet, then,

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!






















I'm guessing you read the big !!!SPOILER ALERT!!! up top.






























I'm also assuming that you want to see spoilers, because you keep scrolling down. :P























Okay, I've warned you about the spoilers.

Here we go!



So this is basically a non-professional critic review of Marvels movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron". I watched it at a nearby movie theater on May 1st; the same day that a lot of other people did. I had seen all of the previous MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) films prior to watching it, so I kind of knew everything that the writers assumed you do when you set out to watch it.

This "review" (more like just my thoughts on it) will be split up into three categories: The Good, The Not-So-Good, and Conclusion.

Again, these are just my personal opinions on the film. Other individuals' may vary, and that's totally fine; I just want to make sure everyone knows I don't represent some big company or anything. ;)

Alright-y, let's go!

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!


The Good

We'll start with, what I thought, was good in the film. Firstly, I really liked how the movie started out with the team already assembled and in action. Though, the general choreography of the action in this scene felt very comic book-y. However, I guess that sort of makes sense since it is, after all, a movie inspired by comics. :)

I really liked Vision in the movie. And Ultron. They did well with the two, especially with Vision's back story-- I wasn't exactly sure how Marvel would make an android be "cool" in a movie. Then again, they did get away with a walking tree and a talking raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, sooo...

Hawkeye's deepened roll in the movie was really nice, too. Before this, it felt like he had the least back story and it was nice to have more complexity to his character.

The Hulkbuster was pretty neat, too. Well, more than pretty neat. It was awesome. :] Though, I was a little disappointed when they didn't actually show Iron Man put it on piece-by-piece. Maybe that's something that'll be in the extended edition...?

Lastly, it was both unexpected and pretty funny when the Vision picked up Thor's hammer and handed it to him. Everyone in the theater went something like "Ooohhhhhh!!" which just added to the moment.

The after-credits scene I thought was nice because it sort of shows that we are finally getting close to the Avengers: Infinity War movies, and that the MCU story-line has progressed this far.

I know there's more that I'm forgetting, but that's all I can think of right now.


The Not-So-Good

Probably my biggest complaint with the movie would be the language, however, I did laugh at the part in the beginning sequence where Captain America gets after Iron Man for using a rude word.

There also just felt like there was a lot missing from the film overall. I'm pretty sure the footage that I indistinctly know is missing will be included in the extended edition when the film is released on DVD and Blu-Ray this September.

I'm trying to keep the negative tone in this portion at a low, but, I think the most disappointing part, personally, was not really the plotline, special effects (which were pretty good, btw!), nor Hulk's disappearance at the end; it was, to me, the soundtrack that could have been improved out of most the other aspects. I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to the MCU films' scores. I own probably over half of all the albums (either on iTunes or CD), and I had listened to these two composers' work before (yes, they actually had two people making the score for AoU). And, while they were two of my few favorite composers, this movie's score somehow did not get me as excited for the movie as past albums have. (My favorite out of all the Marvel soundtracks has got to be Brian Tyler's Thor: The Dark World)

Avengers: Age of Ultron's soundtrack seemed to borrow some of the tunes from the first Avengers film and then use some sort of "average super hero" sounding music for the stuff in between. While the audience probably needed a little bit of the nostalgic original theme, the way they performed this maneuver felt a little... "cheap", I guess. Don't get me wrong, though: this film's soundtrack is still pretty amazing, and definitely fits the adventuresome mood of the movie. I just think that it could have been done better, if you understand what I'm trying to say.


Conclusion

So, my final thoughts.

I thought the movie was good! Really good, in fact. Not quite as good as the first, but the first was such a huge success that I can understand how hard it might be to replicate that. Especially since the magical feel of all the heroes onscreen in the same movie can really only be done once.

Despite what I said I didn't like about the movie, it was still a pretty fantastic film. I do still plan on buying the DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital HD Copy once it hits stores this September (unless I am mistaken), and also the soundtrack on CD which gets released on May 19th. Definitely not quite as good as the first, but it was definitely great to see Earth's Mightiest Heroes assembled once again!





Hehe, look-y there... I was actually able to kind of, sort of, sound like a full-on Marvel nerd. :P :)


---

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron is in theaters everywhere starting May 1st. That was a disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment